22 Nov 2019
Ref No.: 221119 (1)
Dear Valued ASPRI Members,
Accident Notification: Worker electrocuted and fell from height
On 7 November 2019 around 9:30am, a worker was on a ladder replacing the motor of a roller shutter when he suffered an electrical shock and fell about 5 metres to the ground. He was conveyed to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The Ministry of Manpower has commenced investigations into the accident.
Employers, contractors and workers undertaking similar work involving exposure to electrical hazards are advised to carry out an on-site risk assessment to determine the necessary controls that must be put in place prior to work commencement.
Examples of risk controls to prevent electrocution include:
- establishing a Safe Work Procedure including the isolation of electrical energy source via Lockout/Tagout before equipment installation or replacement;
- ensuring that the equipment is electrically grounded prior to switch-on;
- checking for electrical current leakage;
- confirming the absence of alternate electrically conductive pathway (e.g. the metal roller shutter and metal ladder in this case); and
- use of electrically-resistant personal protective equipment (e.g. gloves and boots).
Only trained and competent workers should be deployed for electrical works and a suitably guarded work platform provided for work at height.
Information on the accident is based on preliminary investigations by the Ministry of Manpower as at 12 November 2019. This may be subject to change as investigations are still on-going. Please also note that the recommendations provided here are not exhaustive and they are meant to enhance workplace safety and health so that a recurrence may be prevented. The information and recommendations provided are not to be construed as implying liability on any party nor should it be taken to encapsulate all the responsibilities and obligations under the law.