29 Jan 2020
Ref No.: 290120 (2)
Dear Valued ASPRI Members,
Worker fell through false ceiling
On 25 January 2020 around 1:25am, a worker was cleaning a walkway located above the atrium ceiling of a shopping mall when he fell through the false ceiling. He was conveyed to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The Ministry of Manpower has commenced investigations into the accident.
Persons in control of similar workplaces and work activities (such as occupiers and employers) are advised to consider the following risk control measures to prevent similar accidents:
- Provide a safe means of access to and from the work area, considering the working tools and equipment to be used.
- Install warning signs at all access points and demarcate fragile surfaces to prevent persons from accidentally stepping onto them.
- Check that guardrails, which are adequately designed with top and mid guard railings, are provided along designated walkway(s).
- Ensure work areas (including access and egress routes) are sufficiently illuminated for the task to be carried out safely.
- Brief workers on the on-site hazards, the risk controls that are in place and the necessary precautions to take while at work.
Information on the accident is based on preliminary investigations by the Ministry of Manpower as at 28 January 2020. This may be subject to change as investigations are still on-going. Please also note that the recommendations provided here are not exhaustive and they are meant to enhance workplace safety and health so that a recurrence may be prevented. The information and recommendations provided are not to be construed as implying liability on any party nor should it be taken to encapsulate all the responsibilities and obligations under the law.