07 Jan 2019
Ref No.: 070119(2)
Dear Valued ASPRI Members,
Alert Notification: Worker succumbed inside pump room
On 21 December 2018 around 2am, six workers were dismantling valves in the pump room of a marine vessel when they smelt fumes. All the workers managed to evacuate from the pump room except for one who had lost consciousness. He was brought out from the pump room later and pronounced dead at the scene by attending paramedics.
The Ministry of Manpower has commenced investigations into the accident.
Contractors performing similar work activities are advised to take the necessary precautions to protect their employees when working inside an enclosed environment (the pump room in this case). Contractors are to put in place adequate atmospheric ventilation to maintain oxygen levels and keep airborne concentrations of toxic vapours below their respective permissible exposure limit. Where the provision of adequate ventilation is not possible, suitable respirators or other breathing apparatus must be used so that the work can be carried out safely. Pipelines containing hazardous material should also be suitably isolated, depressurised and purged prior to being dismantled. Should there be a possibility of the pipeline containing residual hazardous materials, personal protective equipment including safety helmets, face shields, safety boots and chemical-resistant clothing, aprons and gloves must be worn.