29 Nov 2019
Ref No.: 291119 (1)
Dear Valued ASPRI Members,
Call for Safety Time Out and Holiday Advisory
The Construction industry had a spate of fatal accidents recently, with two out of four cases relating to lifting operations. The Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Council and Singapore Contractors Association Ltd (SCAL) urge all companies to conduct a Safety Time Out at your respective workplaces to review all work activities and ensure that good WSH practices are adhered to at all times, and in particular, for lifting operations.
As the year-end festivities are approaching, the WSH Council and SCAL would like to remind all companies to “Take Time to Take Care” of safety and health at the workplace.
Companies are also strongly encouraged to take additional precautions during this festive period such as the following:
- Provide adequate supervision for all work activities;
- Remind all workers to take personal responsibility of their work surroundings and take measures to eliminate potential work hazards for themselves and their co-workers;
- Minimise high-risk activities during the festive period if necessary and where possible;
- Conduct a special risk assessment for working during the festive period;
- Inform all relevant stakeholders of any hazard that may arise from changes to work processes/procedures;
- Remind all workers not to rush their work; and
- Ensure all electrical, fire and security safety measures are in place and carry out proper housekeeping before stopping work for the festive season.
You may refer to the WSH Council’s resources here and SCAL’s resources here on how to conduct your own Safety Time Out. Together, we can prevent all injuries and ill-health at the workplace.